Jharkhand Recruitment Exams Cancelled: JSSC-CGL and Tests Conducted by Outsourced Agency Scrapped
Jharkhand Recruitment Exams conducted by an outsourced agency since 2014 have been cancelled by the state government, including the much-debated Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination. The decision was announced by Chief Minister Hemant Soren after a marathon Cabinet meeting at the state secretariat in Ranchi on Monday.
The cancellation comes amid an ongoing student agitation over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations. Protesters have been demanding corrective measures and a thorough investigation into the examination process.
The government’s decision is expected to influence the future of the agitation, with protesting students indicating that they would consider whether to continue or withdraw their demonstration following the announcement.
JSSC-CGL Exam Among Major Tests Cancelled
Chief Minister Hemant Soren said the government had decided to cancel the JSSC-CGL examination, one of the principal demands raised by the protesting students.
The government has also decided to cancel all examinations conducted by TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd (TDPL), an outsourced agency, since 2014. The results published by the agency will also be cancelled, according to the Chief Minister.
The decision represents a significant step by the state government in response to allegations surrounding the conduct of recruitment examinations.
Government Announces Exam Reforms
Alongside the cancellation of the examinations, the Jharkhand government has announced the formation of an examination reforms committee.
The committee, headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal, will examine the existing recruitment examination system and recommend measures to make the process more transparent and reliable.
The proposed reforms are expected to focus on strengthening the examination mechanism and addressing concerns raised by candidates and student organisations.
Student Protest Enters 25th Day
The government’s announcement came as the student-led agitation entered its 25th day.
The JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch has been spearheading the protest since July 25, with students raising concerns over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations.
Six protesters were reportedly continuing a hunger strike when the government announced the cancellation of the examinations.
One of the prominent student leaders, Devendra Mahto, had been on hunger strike for 16 days. He broke his fast around midnight on Monday, while five other protesters continued their hunger strike, according to the protesters.
A protesting student said the government’s announcement would be considered before deciding whether the agitation should continue.
“Today, our protest enters its 25th day. We may decide whether we continue or call the agitation off after the government’s announcement,” the student said.
Students Celebrate Government Decision
Following the announcement, students were seen celebrating at the protest site and waving the Tricolour.
The cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination was welcomed by protesters as an important achievement, particularly because it had been one of their principal demands.
Activist Sonam Wangchuk also congratulated Devendra Mahto through a video call and described the government’s decision as a victory for everyone involved in the movement.
However, the celebrations did not immediately bring the protest to an end.
CBI Probe Remains a Key Demand
Despite the government cancelling the examinations, the protesters maintained that one of their major demands had not been accepted.
The agitators are seeking a CBI investigation into the alleged examination irregularities. Since the government has not agreed to this demand, the students indicated that they would consider their next course of action before formally ending the agitation.
The development therefore leaves the situation partially unresolved despite the government’s decision to scrap the examinations.
Government Panel to Recommend Further Measures
The state government has indicated that the examination reforms committee will play a key role in improving the recruitment process.
The government’s move to cancel tests conducted by TDPL since 2014 also puts the spotlight on the role of outsourced agencies in conducting recruitment examinations.
The immediate focus will now be on whether the protesting students decide to withdraw their agitation.
The government has addressed the demand for cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination and other tests conducted by TDPL. However, the students’ demand for a CBI probe remains a major point of contention.
The outcome of the next round of discussions between the government panel and the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch could determine the future course of the movement.
For thousands of candidates affected by the cancellation of recruitment examinations, the government’s next steps on examination reforms, fresh recruitment schedules and accountability will also be closely watched.
The cancellation of Jharkhand Recruitment Exams conducted by TDPL since 2014, including the JSSC-CGL examination, marks a major development amid the ongoing student protests. The formation of an examination reforms committee signals the state government’s intention to review and strengthen the recruitment system.
However, with protesters continuing to demand a CBI investigation into the alleged irregularities, the agitation may not end immediately. The coming days are likely to be crucial as the government and student representatives hold further discussions on examination reforms and accountability.