While the trophy seemed promised to an Englishwoman after the triumph of the “Lionesses” during the Euro at home this summer, or even a Lyonnaise after a new success in the Champions League, the Women’s France Football Golden Ball remained at home. ‘Spanish Alexia Putellas, indispensable at Barca.
— Ballon d'Or #ballondor (@francefootball) October 17, 2022
Alexia Putellas is already in history. The 28-year-old Spanish midfielder, decisive 64 times in 55 matches last season (42 goals, 22 assists) is the first player to win the Women’s France Football Golden Ball twice.
Already a winner last year, after achieving a Champions League – La Liga – Spanish Cup treble with Barça, she was again favored by voters this year.
Again champion of Spain this year and finalist of the Champions League, beaten by Olympique Lyonnais, she is ahead of the English Beth Mead, crowned European champion with her selection this summer and co-top scorer in the competition ( 6 goals).
The full ranking
1. Alexia Putellas (ESP, 28; FC Barcelona)
2. Beth Mead (ENG, 27; Arsenal)
3. Sam Kerr (AUS, 28; Chelsea)
4. Lena Oberdorf (GER, 20; Wolfsburg)
5 Aitana Bonmati (ESP, 24; FC Barcelona)
6. Alexandra Popp (GER, 31; Wolfsburg)
7. Ada Hegerberg (NOR, 27; Lyon)
8. Wendie Renard (FRA, 32; Lyon)
9. Catarina Macario (USA, 22; Lyon)
10. Lucy Bronze (ENG, 30; Manchester City/FC Barcelona)
11. Vivianne Miedema (HOL, 26; Arsenal)
12. Christiane Endler (CHL, 31; Lyon)
13. Alex Morgan (USA, 33; Orlando Pride/San Diego Wave)
14. Selma Bacha (FRA, 21; Lyon)
15. Millie Bright (ENG, 28; Chelsea)
16. Asisat Oshoala (NGA, 27; FC Barcelona)
17. Marie-Antoinette Katoto (FRA, 23; Paris-SG)
18. Trinity Rodman (USA, 20; Washington Spirit)
19. Fridolina Rolfo (SUE, 28 years old; FC Barcelona)
20. Kadidiatou Diani (FRA, 27 years old; Paris-SG)