≈ 28°C Kolkata Sunday, August 23, 2026
LATEST NEWS
Mark Carney Says Canada Will Match Trump’s Tariffs Dollar for Dollar | J&K Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha Meets PM Modi | Union Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal interacted with industry leaders, founders, and CEOs during the 15th edition of FICCI Massmerize. The minister engaged with prominent voices from the FMCG, retail, and consumer sectors, discussing key industry priorities and growth opportunities. He encouraged businesses to embrace innovation, strengthen export capabilities, support local enterprises, and compete confidently in global markets, reaffirming the government's commitment to fostering | Goa CM Pramod Sawant Calls on Amit Shah in New Delhi | Cricket: Ruturaj Gaikwad’s century helps India A beat Sri Lanka A by 8 runs in tri-series opener in Dambulla. | China's Xi Jinping starts a two-day trip to North Korea, pledging closer ties with Kim Jong Un in his first Pyongyang visit since 2019. | Ashwini Vaishnaw Promises New Era for Kolkata Metro with 60 Modern Trains |

Annapurna Yojana: Suvendu Adhikari Assures Eligible Beneficiaries

By Editorial Team
Annapurna Yojana: Suvendu Assures Eligible Women of Payments
KT- Suvendu Adhikari

Annapurna Yojana has become a major talking point across West Bengal amid complaints from some women over delays or non-receipt of financial assistance. With protests being reported in different areas and discussions gaining momentum on social media, Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari has assured eligible beneficiaries that genuine applicants will not be deprived of the scheme's benefits.

Speaking in Bhawanipur, Adhikari said the state government was taking steps to ensure that women who genuinely qualify for the Annapurna Yojana receive financial assistance.

He also criticised Opposition campaigns surrounding the issue, warning that protests, social media reels and what he described as "media trials" would not influence the government's decision-making process.

Government Claims Payments Have Reached Millions of Women

According to the Chief Minister, the government has already transferred financial assistance to a large number of women under the Annapurna Yojana.
Adhikari said that around 28 lakh women received payments in June, while approximately 1.19 crore women received the scheme's benefits in July. He further claimed that in August, payments had already reached the bank accounts of around 1.45 crore women.

He added that if another 20 to 30 lakh eligible women require financial assistance, the government would make arrangements to extend the benefit to them.

"Those who genuinely deserve the assistance will not be left out," Adhikari said, while seeking to reassure women who are still waiting for payments.

‘No Eligible Woman Will Be Left Out’

The Chief Minister also assured applicants that those who meet the eligibility criteria would receive the Annapurna Yojana benefit.

He said applications submitted by eligible women would be considered and claimed that no genuine beneficiary would remain excluded.

Adhikari specifically referred to applications submitted by July 31, saying that eligible applicants among them would receive the benefit.

He urged beneficiaries to remain patient and said they should have faith in the government.

Priority for Financially Vulnerable Applicants
Adhikari also said that financially weaker sections would receive priority under the government's approach.

He alleged that women associated with the BJP had been selectively excluded from benefits under the previous administration. According to him, the new government would ensure that people who had previously been deprived of government assistance for political reasons were given priority.

The Chief Minister said the government would focus on identifying genuine beneficiaries rather than responding to political pressure.

Suvendu Adhikari Warns Against ‘Media Trial’

The issue has also triggered a political confrontation in West Bengal.

Opposition parties have criticised the government over complaints concerning delayed payments under the Annapurna Yojana, while demonstrations by women have reportedly taken place in different locations.

Responding to the criticism, Adhikari said that creating social media reels, organising protests with small groups of people and conducting what he called "media trials" would not force the government to change its decisions.

He asserted that the government would follow its own process for identifying and assisting eligible beneficiaries.

Adhikari also said that he would not bow to what he described as the "political strategy" of the Trinamool Congress.

‘Trust Your Brother Suvendu’

In a direct appeal to women waiting for assistance, Adhikari asked them to have faith in him and the government.

He reportedly told beneficiaries to "trust your brother Suvendu", reiterating his assurance that eligible women would not be denied the financial support promised under the Annapurna Yojana.

He also cited Bhawanipur as an example, claiming that around 17,000 eligible beneficiaries in the constituency had already received payments under the scheme.

Annapurna Yojana Becomes a Political Flashpoint
The controversy surrounding the Annapurna Yojana has increasingly become a political issue in West Bengal.

While the government maintains that the payment process is continuing and that eligible applicants will receive assistance after verification, Opposition parties have raised questions over beneficiaries who claim that payments have not reached their accounts.

The issue has also generated considerable discussion on social media, with applicants and political groups sharing their experiences and allegations.

The government, however, has maintained that eligibility and verification remain central to the process.

Focus on Genuine Beneficiaries

The latest statement from Suvendu Adhikari indicates that the state government intends to focus on ensuring that financial assistance reaches women who meet the prescribed criteria.

The Chief Minister has also made it clear that the government will not be guided solely by political criticism or social media campaigns.

As the payment process continues, the key question will be how quickly pending applications are verified and whether all eligible women receive the promised assistance.

The government is expected to continue processing applications and resolving cases where eligible beneficiaries have not yet received payments.

For women awaiting assistance under the Annapurna Yojana, the government's latest assurance is that genuine beneficiaries will not be excluded.

The controversy is likely to remain a significant political and social issue in West Bengal as the government works to address complaints while Opposition parties continue to question the implementation of the scheme.

For now, Suvendu Adhikari has sought to reassure beneficiaries that the government will take steps to ensure that those genuinely entitled to the Annapurna Yojana benefit are eventually cove

Share this article