Flood in Sabang: Chief Minister Announces ₹30,000 Compensation for Affected Families
Sabang flood has caused widespread damage in West Midnapore, with around 3,200 houses reportedly affected in the Sabang area. After conducting an aerial survey of flood-hit regions, Chief Minister Shubhendu Adhikari announced financial assistance of ₹30,000 for each affected family.
The Chief Minister visited Sabang on Thursday afternoon and conducted an aerial assessment of several flood-affected areas, including Sabang, Bhagabanpur and Patashpur. He also reviewed the overall flood situation with district officials, local legislators and other administrative authorities.
Chief Minister Conducts Aerial Survey of Flood-Hit Areas
During his visit, Shubhendu Adhikari travelled by helicopter to assess the extent of the damage caused by the Sabang flood and rising water levels in the surrounding areas.
The Chief Minister said that approximately 3,200 houses had been damaged in Sabang due to the flooding. He announced that each affected family would receive ₹30,000 as compensation to help them deal with the damage caused by the disaster.
He also issued several directions to district authorities to strengthen relief and rescue operations and ensure that essential supplies reach people stranded in waterlogged areas.
Kelaghai River Water Level Under Control
Speaking about the flood situation, the Chief Minister said that the water level of the Kelaghai River had risen significantly but was currently under control.
He interacted with legislators from Sabang and other flood-affected areas to understand the situation on the ground. Local representatives briefed him about the problems being faced by residents, particularly those living in areas that remained waterlogged.
The administration has been instructed to ensure that people affected by the Sabang flood receive adequate relief materials, including ration and drinking water.
10 People Reportedly Bitten by Snakes
The flood situation has also created additional challenges for residents. According to the Chief Minister, around 10 people in the affected areas had reportedly suffered snake bites.
All of them were rescued and brought back safely, he said. The administration has been directed to remain alert and ensure that emergency medical assistance is available to people living in flood-affected areas.
Review Meeting With District Officials
Following the aerial survey, the Chief Minister held a meeting with senior government officials to review the flood situation across West Midnapore.
The meeting was attended by the District Magistrate, district police superintendent, officials from the Public Health Engineering (PHE) department and legislators from the district.
The administration discussed relief operations, drinking water supplies, ration distribution, rescue measures and other urgent requirements in the flood-affected areas.
The Chief Minister also assigned Minister of State Rajesh Mahato, who holds independent charge, to monitor the flood situation in West Midnapore.
Focus on Relief and Essential Supplies
With several areas still affected by floodwater, authorities have been asked to prioritise the delivery of food and drinking water to residents.
The administration is also expected to monitor vulnerable areas and respond quickly to emergencies. The Chief Minister stressed the need for coordination between district officials, local representatives and government departments to ensure that relief reaches people without delay.
The Sabang flood has affected homes and disrupted normal life across several parts of the region, making immediate relief and rehabilitation a key priority for the administration.
Chief Minister Recalls Jyoti Basu's 1986 Visit
During his interaction with local residents, Shubhendu Adhikari referred to their comments about former West Bengal Chief Minister Jyoti Basu's visit to the area in 1986.
He said local residents had told him that Basu was the last Chief Minister to visit the area before his visit.
The Chief Minister said he shared a strong connection with rural Bengal and emphasised his association with village communities.
“People in the area were saying that Jyoti Basu had visited here in 1986. After that, this is the first time a Chief Minister has come here,” he said.
He added that his political journey had begun in the villages and that he remained closely connected with rural communities.
Sabang Flood: Compensation and Relief Measures
The announcement of ₹30,000 compensation for each of the 3,200 affected families is expected to provide immediate financial support to residents whose homes have been damaged by the flooding.
The state administration will also continue monitoring the flood situation, particularly in areas affected by rising river water and prolonged waterlogging.
With relief distribution, drinking water supply, medical assistance and rescue operations being prioritised, authorities are working to minimise the impact of the Sabang flood and support affected residents.