Trump Says Naval Blockade Effective as Hormuz Remains Open
US President Donald Trump said the Strait of Hormuz remains open, claiming that a significant number of vessels continue to pass through the strategic waterway despite concerns over regional tensions.
.@POTUS on Iran: "The Strait is open. A lot of boats are coming through. People aren't reporting that... the Naval blockade has been extremely effective... We're going to see what happens." pic.twitter.com/1V13bQMUK5
β Rapid Response 47 (@RapidResponse47) August 19, 2026
βThe Strait is open. A lot of boats are coming through,β Trump said, adding that the US naval blockade has been βextremely effective.β He said the situation would continue to be assessed as developments unfold.
Trump also pointed to growing US energy production as a way of reducing Washingtonβs dependence on the Strait of Hormuz, a crucial global oil transit route.
The US President said the country is building a record number of oil pipelines and increasing domestic oil production. He highlighted output from major producing states including Texas, Alaska and Louisiana.
Trump also dismissed earlier predictions of a sharp surge in crude prices, noting that while some had discussed oil reaching $350 per barrel, prices were currently around $84β85 per barrel.
βWe are producing A LOT of oil,β Trump said, arguing that the energy market has found alternative sources and routes that were previously not considered.
His comments come amid continued attention on the strategic importance of the Strait of Hormuz, through which a substantial share of global oil supplies traditionally moves. Trumpβs remarks indicate that the US is seeking to rely increasingly on domestic production and infrastructure to cushion itself from disruptions in the region.